Is the Rift priced to high? POLL INSIDE

Discussion in 'Oculus Rift Forum' started by VRLife, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Is the Rift priced to high?

1. A) Yes $600 is to much. Corners should have been cut.

36.4%
  2. B) No I think the price will reflect the quality. Cutting edge is not cheap.

63.6%
  1. VRLife

VRLife Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $20,104
    Do you think $600 is too much to ask for an early adopter into VR technology. Keep in mind I'm basing this pole on the fact that Oculus says they are not making a profit so having the RIft cheaper would just mean lower quality.

A) So do you believe corners should have been cut to make the device chaeper.

B) Or are you wiling to pay a little more to get the quality needed for a positive VR experience.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. VRLife

Money:
    $20,104
    Found on Reddit 2 hours ago.

3. Raybig

Raybig Member

Money:
    $75
    I was shocked initially by the price. But after giving it some thought I guess it is worth it :p

4. bm7

bm7 New Member

Money:
    $10
    I think it is a bit much... 300 or 400 would have been a much better price. It's kind of crazy that it costs more than a GTX 980.

5. TomW

TomW New Member

Money:
    $15
    It's too much. I hoped it would be priced at 300 like they said at the start. Maybe it will get cheaper in the future

6. bidiot

bidiot New Member

Money:
    $20
    I mean it's too much for me, but for what it does I don't think it's bad.

7. Ogg_Vorbis

Ogg_Vorbis New Member

Money:
    $10
    The price is too high for me personally, but seeing that this is the first commercial VR hardware available, the first generation, I think that the price is completely justified. VR will probably get cheaper as time goes on, as long as there is an interest in it. Now, if they had managed to get it down to 400, maybe even 500 dollars I probably would have purchased one right away. 600 is just a little high for me right now, personally.

8. helifrek

helifrek Member

Money:
    $80
    For someone who have been waiting their whole life for an exceptional vr experience, $600 is nothing. 18 years ago I used to go to an arcade that had this huge vr game with terrible graphics and it didn't feel like you were in the game at all. I can only guess but that unit looked like it costs over $20k

9. drucrazy

drucrazy Member

Money:
    $30
    It's overpriced in my opinion, and the technology will change the more they learn about it.. still think its in a early development stage. Overall as long as it does it's job and lasts without any problems, I am fine with it.

10. empire

empire Member

Money:
    $60
    Definitely over my budget for something I can't afford and something I won't use every day. $600 is double the amount in Australia as well

11. CM30

CM30 Member

Money:
    $30
    Yeah, I think so. I mean, the price was okay for early adopters, back when it was only being sold to a select few. But they need to bring the price downa bit if they ever want to sell it to the mass market, or compete with the Playstation VR.

12. helifrek

helifrek Member

Money:
    $80
    You know, when you think about how advanced the rift is and how far it has come and that it is $600 and then compare that to a modern cell phone...... I think the rift wins in terms of value.

13. Neo

Neo New Member

Money:
    $10
    I definitely think it's worth it.If they hadn't mentioned before the release that the price was gonna be low; $600 wouldn't sound that bad.

14. franksodank

franksodank New Member

Money:
    $10
    Compared to the HTC Vive, I think that the price of the Oculus should be reduced. Two hundred dollars less, with the same specs, for something that is less versatile and interactive? I'd rather get the Vive once I get some extra funds at the current price.

15. VRLife

Money:
    $20,104
    I'm slowly starting to get this feeling. I have a Rift coming later this month but if I had a June/July ship date I would definitely be getting the Vive.

My only hope now is that the touch controllers are $200 or less.

16. Eidolon

Eidolon New Member

Money:
    $10
    It was a little more than I expected, but it's worth it for what you get.