Oculus Rift Review

Discussion in 'Oculus Rift Forum' started by Gorechylde, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Gorechylde

Gorechylde Moderator

Money:
    $81
    I have had my Oculus for a little over a week now. Unboxing and setup has been covered already by everyone and their mother so I won't bore you. Suffice to say, Make sure you have a DVI-to-HDMI converter if you don't have 2 HDMI ports on your GPU. I tried performing setup without it and had to abort mid setup and go purchase an adapter. $17 at the local Walmart. I also picked up an Inatek PCIe USB 3.0 card to run the Oculus.

My setup: Intel I5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3ghz, R9 290 4gb ddr5, 8gb Kingston ddr3 RAM, SSD. My rig doesn't meet min specs and Oculus lets me know every time I boot it up. I think it's my CPU, but I have not noticed any issues so far.

Impressions: I haven't followed the VR arms race as closely as I probably should so literally everything was new to me. I'd never used a Dev Kit and have only seen a handful of reaction videos and reviews.

I can honestly say that this has blown me away. The level of immersion you get just being able to look around in a VR world is amazing to me. I've only tried a handful of games as I am currently lacking in space on my SSD, but I'll list the games and my impressions below.

Oculus Dreamdeck: This was the first download I made. It's really and glorified tech demo that you show off to your friends, but as a VR Ice-Breaker, you can't do much better than this. I experienced a wide range of emotions from vertigo to joy to genuine fear and awe. Very impressive feet wetter here.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: This looks to be a great party game. My wife and I tried it out for kicks and it's very tense diffusing a bomb from someone else's instruction. We're having a large group of friends over to try out the Rift this weekend and look to showcase this excellent title there.

Dreadhalls: I was turned onto this game by Angry Joe Vargas and was able to play for roughly 4 minutes before the nausea became unbearable. I have a sensitive equilibrium and get nauseous very easily. I can't read in a moving vehicle without getting sick. That said, the sensation of moving in a virtual world is fine until I come to a stop. The lack of physical feedback dances on my nausea button and this put me out for the rest of the night. I'll post further impressions once I've played this one some more.

Lost: This is an Oculus Story Studio title and I absolutely LOVED it! The events unfolding on screen made me feel tiny. The sounds design was really great too. The headphones on the CV1 are no joke.

Darknet: This has been my go to software so far. Minimal movement keeps the nausea down and the mechanics of the game lend to replay value. I'm of the understanding that this is a port of a GearVR title, but that doesn't matter to me. I LOVE cyberpunk and cannot wait until the touch controls release and I can start hacking nodes with my hands, Johnny Mnemonic style. Really enjoying this title.

Technolust: This is another Dreadhalls for me. I was able to play for roughly 5 mins before I got super nauseous. The aesthetic of this game really drew me in and the live-action performances were great from the little bit that I saw. Stay tuned for updates on this one.

Jaunt: Streaming 360 degree video on the rift. Would be great if it didn't have to buffer every 15 seconds. I did get a solid 45 seconds of video of a surfer inside a crashing wave that was really, REALLY awesome! I could see this really taking off if they sort out their servers.

Oculus Video: The different Oculus Home Theatre environments are really impressive. It basically puts you in a VR background and projects your content up onto a screen. The content itself isn't 360 degree, but watching movies on the moon was pretty neat.

Ocean Rift: I would say that this is an even better tech demo than Dreamdeck in my opinion. The immersion here is incredible. You can also use the Oculus Remote to swim around the environment which was a nice little touch.

I'll post more impressions as they come.

2. VRLife

VRLife Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $21,338
    Thanks for the detailed review.

3. Redjevel

Redjevel Member

Money:
    $25
    good review, everyone need to wait for touch yet and as i heard most of the games are pretty boring... no hatin but headset is really good quality actually