Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive Pre

Discussion in 'General VR Discussion Forum' started by VRLife, Jan 13, 2016.

1. VRLife

VRLife Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $24,210
    http://www.pcgamer.com/tested-oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive-pre/ More info at the link.

Right now, the best VR experience is a combination of Oculus VR and Vive VR. Both have their own strengths. If wishes were magic VR amalgamations, I’d use the Vive’s screen and tracking system in the Oculus Rift’s body, with Oculus Touch controllers on my hands. But since most of us are going to be buying one headset or the other, here are my observations from back-to-back testing.

The displays
    The Vive’s field of view is notably larger—specifically, taller—than the Oculus Rift’s. It’s a fairly striking difference when you look at them in quick succession. The Vive definitely doesn’t fill your entire field of view, but the extra verticality is a real plus. If the Oculus Rift is a movie shot at 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the Vive is more 16:9. That’s an imperfect comparison (for one thing, I like movies shot at 2.35:1!) but in VR, the Oculus experience feels a bit more like looking through a window.

Fit and weight
    The Oculus Rift is absolutely the more comfortable headset. It’s lighter and much easier to keep in place, partially thanks to its strap system, but mostly, I think, due to its weight. It’s the more comfortable device to handle thanks to its fabric covering. The Vive really feels like development hardware, bursting with raw potential but still a bit ungainly. Putting on the Oculus immediately afterward makes it feel much more like a consumer-ready, heavily iterated piece of tech.

Wrapping up
    The Vive’s VR controllers are much improved ergonomically since last year, but I didn’t get to directly compare them to the Oculus Touch, which is still months away from release. I think the design and weight of Touch beats the Vive controllers, but Vive has room-scale tracking.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016