Racing Wheels, HOTAS, and Motion sensing peripherals mega thread.

Discussion in 'General VR Discussion Forum' started by VRLife, Jan 22, 2016.

1. VRLife

VRLife Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $22,648
    Motion Controlls: The Future!
    SIXENSE Stem. $300-$600 LINK
    Oculus Touch $??? LINK
    Virtuix Omni $700 LINK
    Oculus Touch
    [​IMG]

Racing Wheels: Prices start at roughly $100 and can climb close to $800 for a full setup. If your interested in Racing a wheel is a must have. Amazon link to list of racing wheels. LINK
    Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
    [​IMG]

HOTAS or Hands On Throttle-And-Stick. Prices range from $40 to $400. Used in Flight sims.
    Amazon LINK
    Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino
    [​IMG]

Play Seats and Stands: Prices range from $100 to $500. Though most of the Steering wheels will mount to a desk or a table having an actual racing seat adds to the immersion. If your handy this would also make a nice DIY project.
    Amazon LINK
    GTR Racing Simulator
    [​IMG]

This thread is an ongoing work in progress and content will continue to be added.

Please tell us about your experiences.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. VRLife

Money:
    $22,648
    I'm in the market for a Racing wheel and possibly a HOTAS depending how much I like EVE Valkyrie. If anyone has any experience please post up.

Something like this would be the ultimate DIY project.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Raybig

Raybig Member

Money:
    $75
    I have had the Logitech G27 for almost 4 years. Been playing on both PS3 and PC and it is simply amazing! Works great on all types of car games. Only thing i miss is a dedicated handbreak.

When it comes to HOTAS I dont really have much experience. But I bought Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick (http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-hotas-x) to use with my DK2 and Elite Dangerous. It costs under 40 dollars and works really well considering the price.

4. VRLife

Money:
    $22,648

I borrowed my brothers G25 over the weekend and I really like it. Though I'm not fond of using it at my desk. I have thought about picking up a seat like this from Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum2300/overview/ and building the rest from some scrap wood I have laying around. Something like this should be easy to make.
    [​IMG]

Raybig likes this.
  5. MrFlou

MrFlou Member

Money:
    $32
    Got the X-55 Rhino and can say it is well worth the price! using it for Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous!

6. TomW

TomW New Member

Money:
    $15
    Does anyone use a TrackIR or something similar? I plan in getting an OpenTrack kit from eBay for 40eur but I was wondering if there is any cheaper alternative.

7. SuperHadron

SuperHadron New Member

Money:
    $20
    Copy-pasting this from another thread. Comparison of G27 and the newer G29:

The wheel itself is fantastic but the problem is in it's drivers. While the g27 had tons of options the drivers for the newer wheels only let you change the degrees of rotation. Some people have said that not being able to fine tune the force feedback is a huge turnoff and really makes games like ets and assetto corsa feel dull. Hopefully logitech will do something but at this point nobody knows.

I haven't tested yet whether or not you can still download the drivers for the g27, but I would assume you can. I highly recommend getting a used g27 if you can find one over the new wheels, at least until logitech fixes this terrible mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    VRLife likes this.
  8. Gorechylde

Gorechylde Moderator

Money:
    $81
    I have a G25 that I bought for Gran Turismo Prologue way back when. I paired it with a Playseat brand racing chair. It was and is pretty expensive. I think I paid $400 for the chair and $200 for the wheel. The force feedback of the G25 is fantastic. Very realistic. I've seen where some people mod the shifter spring to make it more rigid, but I never found that necessary.

I had to buy a shifter attachment for my Playseat so the stick could mount to the chair. The bracket was $50 and sold separately, but you could fab one pretty easily if you have access to a welder or a table saw.

I also have the X-55 Rhino pictured above. I fab'd a 2nd shifter bracket for my Playseat and made some custom mounting plates out of plywood so I could mount the Rhino to my racing seat. I've paired this with the TrackIR5 and the setup works wonderfully for games like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. I play a lot of CQC in Elite and it's very intense/immersive. I'm currently looking at setting up voice command prompts for my ship functions for even more immersion.
    I'll post pics of my setup below.

The only negative I would give a setup like this is the size and difficulty of storing it. It takes up a lot of space in the room and is a general eye-sore to everyone but me.

VRLife, you may try looking at pull-a-part or a scrap yard somewhere and get a used car seat on the cheap to build your rig around. Most of the purpose built gaming seats I've seen don't come with the range of adjustment you'd find in an actual car seat.

Attached Files:

9. Gorechylde

Gorechylde Moderator

Money:
    $81
    Download the client for Elite: Dangerous and try out the offline tutorial missions. They give you a decent look at all aspects of the game and it's free.

https://www.elitedangerous.com/

Get the client form the "Downloads" section in the upper right corner.

10. VRLife

Money:
    $22,648
    I checked their pricing, I will definately check it out.
    http://www.pullapart.com/parts/pricing/ SEAT, BENCH W/ MANUAL TRACK $37.50

I will also check out the elitedangerous tutorial missions. Thanks for the info.

11. VRLife

Money:
    $22,648
  12. VRLife

Money:
    $22,648
    Press release for new Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback racing wheel.

New York, April 8, 2016 – Thrustmaster’s TMX Force Feedback, officially licensed for Xbox One and designed for Xbox One and Windows, offers players on both platforms a memorable racing experience based on authentic sensations, thanks to a strong force feedback effect and an exceptional price-quality ratio!

Strong features under the hood:

Equipp[​IMG]ed with a high-performance force feedback motor offering adjustable intensity and a rotation angle ranging from 270° to 900°, the TMX Force Feedback delivers a realistic and versatile racing experience. The controller’s versatility benefits all players, whether beginners or seasoned pilots, with all types of tracks, cars and races.
    Another example of this racing wheel’s versatility is its force feedback motor, designed by Thrustmaster’s development teams to offer performance suited to demanding players, while also remaining accessible to less experienced drivers. The motor features a mixed belt-pulley and gears system with metal ball-bearing axle. The result is a balanced combination of performance, robustness and precision. With 12-bit resolution – i.e. 4096 values on the wheel’s steering axis – provided by an optical sensor, this racing wheel also offers extreme precision, delivering highly realistic racing sensations. The racing wheel features a robust and adjustable attachment system, compatible with all mounts (desks, tables, cockpits, etc.).

Thanks to Xbox One-certified embedded software, the controller is automatically recognized by the video game console, which also ensures full compatibility with the menus in all racing games supporting racing wheels. And with the Thrustmaster drivers available for free download from http://ts.thrustmaster.com/, the racing wheel is also compatible with Windows (10, 8, 7 and Vista).

Intense fun at your fingertips:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

When it comes to handling, the racing wheel’s 11”/28 cm diameter is suited to all types of racing games (GT, F1, NASCAR, Rally, etc.). Its rubber-coated wheel grips offer perfect comfort. When it comes to ergonomics, everything has been designed to ensure that the two large, 5”/13 cm tall, 100% metal wheel-mounted sequential paddle shifters are within easy reach, just like the 12 action buttons and the directional pad.

Exceptional efficiency at your feet:

The TMX Force Feedback’s features a wide 2-pedal pedal set that delivers efficient acceleration and braking: each pedal’s angle of inclination can be adjusted, and for greater realism, the brake pedal also offers progressive resistance.

[​IMG]
    Want more?

The TMX Force Feedback is designed to accompany racers through their learning curve in terms of experience: it is compatible with the T3PA* and T3PA-Pro* (Thrustmaster 3 Pedals Add-on) pedal sets and with the Thrustmaster TH8A* shifter.

* Sold separately

[​IMG]

• The TMX Force Feedback will be available in May, at the suggested retail price of $199.99 (taxes included).