The Rift is using a high quality DAC and AMP!

Discussion in 'Oculus Rift Forum' started by VRLife, Dec 29, 2015.

1. VRLife

VRLife Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $21,358
    Music to my ears. As an audiophile and headphone junkie my self I'm quite happy about this.:D

2. CHRONOMASTER

CHRONOMASTER Member

Money:
    $55
    This is a great addition to the Rift, but many people will still think that there fancy expensive(!=quality) "Gamer" brand name headphones will be better and will not even test the Rift's before removing them.

3. VRLife

Money:
    $21,358
    I will for sure try them. If anything for the convenience of having them installed and ready to go when putting on the Rift. Also one less cable to worry with.

4. VRLife

Money:
    $21,358
  5. atoff

atoff Member

Money:
    $25
    I was planning on using my own AKG K712 Pro's, because of how immense the soundstage is. I use the K712 for playing games or watching movies, and it's been the best headset I've found for that. But with all the talk of how decent the built in headphones sound, and given how convenient they are, I'm not going to even bother trying my own. The AKG's would add more weight and feel clumsy. No point in it when the built in phones will be calibrated so well.

VRLife likes this.
  6. VRLife

Money:
    $21,358
    Yeah I have the K702 65 Anniversary and they are awesome. Sadly I dont use them as often as I should.

What headphone amp if any are you using? I started out with a couple of DIY CMOY's to get me ready to build the Objective2.

7. atoff

atoff Member

Money:
    $25
    I really liked the K702 65th too! I ended up with the 712 for the supposed slightly warmer sound. It did deliver, but I'd be happy with either one.
    DAC/Amp I'm using a Schiit Modi / Vali combo, but to be honest they're just collecting dust. I'm always chasing more of a virtual surround sound than anything else, so I pretty much give up some sound quality for it.

The best thing I've found for virtual surround within a reasonable budget is running through a Sound Blaster Z to Ear Force DSS 7.1. The loss in quality is so minimal but it sounds just enormous.

Objective2's supposed to be a really good match for the 702's, so I don't think you can go wrong with that.

8. VRLife

Money:
    $21,358
    I used the Ear Force DSS many years ago when I started to get interested in headphones. Turtle Beach DPX21 I think it was? I returned it for something wireless, the Astro Mixamp 5.8

I have forgotten about Dolby headphone/Virtual surround. Going to charge the mixamp now:D

9. atoff

atoff Member

Money:
    $25
    ;)
    I was curious how the mixamp would compare, but I got the DSS on the cheap, and it sounded so good, so never bought one. I run optical to the DSS, it's a little bit of a hassle.